Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

Allergy Free Chicken Parmesan

Well, last minute idea tonight for supper, Chicken Parmesan.  Didn't really want spaghetti, and I hadn't thawed out my Italian sausage but I really wanted something "Italian", and then it hit me, Chicken Parm!! YUM!

Breading is always a challenge when doing GF cooking, but the fall back for me is always EnerG. But the last time I bought some, I decided to try the OrgraN Brand.  Not real fond of them, to be honest.  I prefer EnerG.  But now I have a lot of OrgraN so need to use them up.  What a perfect way to do so with Chicken Parm!

To give a bit of flavor and nutrition (as though Chicken doesn't have enough) I used a bit of Almond Meal.  
 And added in about equal parts of the bread crumbs
 Then mixed in Italian Seasoning, Sea Salt and Pepper.
 Dipped the chicken in almond milk and then the bread crumb mixture

 Then put them in dish and baked in a 350 deg preheated oven until done.  Usually it will take about 45 min - 1 hr, but these were small, thick breasts that I cut in half to make 2 out of 1 so it took a shorter amount of time to cook.
 
What I don't like about it is that it doesn't get "brown" .  It's still done, and just as good, but my brain tells me it should be brown, so I keep thinking the chicken is not done.

Now I turn the oven to broil, add the Daiya Mozz Shreds
 and move the chicken to the top rack, broiling for about 10 minutes. 
 You have to be careful with this "cheese".  I got distracted and didn't keep my eye on it and came back to it being burnt.  You can see the burnt spot on the chicken, I didn't peel it all off as I wasn't too worried with it, I kinda like it a little burnt.  The good news about this cheese and that it peels off, so I just peeled it off and added fresh and re-broiled.  But be careful, if it is not done "just right" it can taste a bit funny.  Unlike regular cheese, I personally don't find it tasty enough to eat out of the bag, at least not the mozz.  So uncooked is not tasty at all. 

I typically use Quinoa noodles but I had 2 bags of EnerG rice noodles from before I found the Quinoa decided to use those up.  After I drained it, it glued together and I had to tear apart chunks of noodles to put on the plates.  (Bad call, but at least now I'm only down to 1 bag :) The sauce softened it up again but I cooked it too long and it became a mess.
You can see the black from the original burnt cheese but can also see the white strings of the Daiya cheese.  Unlike regular cheese, it doesn't melt and spread, it stays exactly the way you put it, as you can probably see it still clumped.

Last week I ran across a recipe for "Parmesan Cheese" that used Almond Meal, Nutritional Yeast and Salt as a substitute.  So I mixed together 1/2 c. Almond Meal, 1TB Nutritional Yeast and 1 tsp salt.  I can't find the original website to link to it, I just wrote down what I needed, Maybe someone will have seen it and let me know so I can give them the credit.

Again, as with the fake cheese, it doesn't taste like regular Parm Cheese but it wasn't bad.  The young-in's like it.   Store it in the fridge, I put it in a glass jar.  Don't remember how long they said it would hold up but I imagine a month or 2.
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment