Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

Allergy Free (GF/DF/CF/EF) (possibly Vegan) Bread

I have made a spin-off of different bread recipes many times.  Most recipes though call for plain rice flours and starches which add very little nutrition to them.  I figure since we are cutting out so many things, I need to add as much nutrition in them as I can, so I have adjusted flours in incorporate some that have nutrition in them.  There is still a lot of starch and rice flour, and I will be working on that some more so that I can cut that down, but for now, this is what I have had work.  With the elimination of eggs, I think this may also be Vegan.  Something, that apparently, that I have to cook without knowing it.  We are eating meat, but as for any recipes for baking, I have to search for Vegan recipes.

If you are vegan and reading this, please let me know if this is indeed, Vegan.

Ingredients:

1 1/4 c. white rice flour
1/2 c. sorghum flour
1/2 c. buckwheat flour
1/4 c. garbanzo bean flour
1 c. tapioca flour
1 c. sweet rice flour *
 4 tsp. xanthan gum
2 TB Baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 TB sugar

1-1/2 c. warm (105-110 deg) water or milk (I use water)
1 TB sugar
2 TB active dry yeast

3 TB vinegar**
3 tsp baking soda**

1 TB apple cider vinegar
1/4 c. + 2 TB Olive oil
1/2-3/4 c. (your choice of) milk - I used almond milk (adjust as needed)

*I have also made this without the Sweet Rice Flour and it turned out just as good.  I just used another 1/2 c. tapioca flour and 1/2 c. white rice flour in place of the Sweet Rice.
**The vinegar and baking soda replaces the eggs in the original recipe

Preheat oven to 375 deg. Oil and flour pan.  I use a 9 1/4 x 5 1/4 pan.  Remember this makes 4 1/2 c. so you'll want to use a bigger pan.

In small bowl, proof yeast by whisking together warm water (or milk) and 1 TB sugar.  Then add 2 TB yeast and mix until dissolved.  Set aside to foam.  If it does not foam, your yeast is bad and try again.

In separate bowl, whisk together the flours, xanthan gum, Baking powder, salt and remaining 4 TB sugar, set aside.

In large bowl (I use my mixer bowl) mix together 3 TB Vinegar and Baking Soda.  (I usually add the Apple Cider Vinegar now as well so that there is only the 1 reaction instead of 2, but that is up to you.)

Mix in 1TB Apple Cider vinegar (if not done in step above), Olive oil and 1/2 c of milk.  Mix until combined.

Add in Yeast mixture, mixing about 30 seconds until all combined.

Add dry ingredients and mix until well combined.  Slowly add the remaining 1/4c of milk to the mixture as needed.  (For me, some days I need the entire 1/4 c plus a little more, and others I dont need any of it.  Funny how GF breads work!)

Mix dough for approximately 2 minutes on "stir" or 2 speed if using Kitchen Aid.


Pour into bread pan...
and let rise for approximately 30-40 minutes, or until it rises just slightly above the top of bread pan.  If, after 45 minutes, it doesnt rise that high, put it in the oven.  I've had some days where that happened and I can't figure out why.  This happened to be one of those days.
Bake for approximately 45 minutes, checking the temp of the bread after 40. You want the internal temperature to be about 208 degrees.  If you notice the bread getting to dark, cover with foil.  Getting the internal temp to above 200 will help eliminate the doughy center.

Remove from oven and let cool. 
Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment