Pages

Monday, December 12, 2011

Breakfast? Desert? Who cares, Let's just eat it!

Ok, first I have to say, I absolutely LOVE Katie's yummies!  OMG'sh, so so good!  Today's breakfast was stolen 100% from her!  I added my own touches and substitutes (no surprise there) but it is all her!

This, scrumptious looking thing, is all Katie's idea, now I must make it lots!
This is a Gluten Free Vegan Peach Cobbler with vanilla "yogurt/pudding".  On it's own, the yogurt is not very good. (I call it yogurt since I added 2 probiotic capsules and honey and let it sit overnight.  Not sure if it really does anything but I like to think it does SOMETHING! lol)  I need to play with it a bit to figure out a good vanilla flavoring.  Since I was making it to go with the cobbler specifically, I didn't wanna add strawberries or anything and I thought peach would bee to much.  But when you mix the 2 together, YUM-MY!  DD2 tasted the yogurt by itself and said, eww mom!  I waited all night for THIS!  I said mix it with the cobbler.  I hear YUMMMMMMM!  This is really GOOOOOD!  Yep, I love Katie!

"Peach Cobbler "
(Serves 3 kids )
  • 5 cups frozen peaches
  • 1 T arrowroot (or cornstarch)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1-1/2 cup rice chex
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 T melted margarine (I used Earth Balance. If you want a fat-free crisp, double the applesauce and omit the margarine.)
  • 2 T applesauce (For a more buttery taste, replace this with an extra T of the margarine)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 350F. Mix the peaches, arrowroot, cinnamon, 1/2 the salt, and 1/2 the sweetener in a bowl. Let sit for ten minutes. Meanwhile, stir the crushed cereal, remaining sweetener, remaining salt, melted margarine or oil, and applesauce in a bowl until well-blended. Spread the peach mixture in a small baking pan and top with the cereal mixture. Bake for 45 minutes.

** You can use fresh peaches, just add 1TB lemon juice.

Katie's recipe doesn't use sugar, it uses replacements and she has a sugar free option as well if you want to check it out.  We however, love sugar lol



For the yogurt/pudding, again, Katie has a quick one.  It uses Agar flakes.  Since I only have Agar powder, I agian made adjustments. I have to double all of Katie's recipes cuz frankly, 3 kids eat a lot. So here is what I did:

Vanilla Pudding/Yogurt

  • 5 1/2 cups Almond Milk (I just used store bought)
  • 2 tsp. Agar PowderThen I mix
1. Mix both in a pot and let stand about 5 minutes
2. Slowly bring to a boil then remove from heat and let cool
3. When cooled, put in fridge until completely gelled.
4. Put in blender and add whatever flavor you want. 

From here, I added in about 1 TB vanilla extract, 2 TB honey and 2 capsules of allergy free probiotics and mix in the Vitamix.  When I tasted it, didn't taste very good so I added more vanilla and kept adding to taste.

I put it in the fridge over night, and in the morning, I heated the Cobbler and scooped some of this on it, and YUM-MMO!

No comments:

Post a Comment